About the Club
Rotaract Club of Fr. Conceicao Rodrigues College of Engineering is one of the prestigious organizations in the institute. The Club is affiliated under the charter to the Rotary District 3141 Zone 1A under the parent Rotary Club of Bombay Bandra and working form 2010 with motto “service above self,"
Rotaract Club of Fr. CRCE aims to organize various interactive events to provide service to the society and to raise the funds for charity. The Club has associated with the with various NGO like TWEET foundation to work towards transgender rights, IEC-Institute of Exceptional Children, BTL-Bigger Than Life who reaches out to the underprivileged children and their families who stay in the slums of Bandstand, Swapnavana to raise awareness reforestation. This club has worked for children’s education and women empowerment by organizing various events and providing technical help and solutions for their problems. While making the difference in the life of underprivileged children and women, it also helps student to develop leadership and managerial qualities, help to acquire the skills. This club opens the world beyond the classroom which helps the students to develop various skill and creativity, values, ethics, and social responsibilities. Throughout the year this club organizes various events and donates an amount of more than 40k to the society.
The Rotaract Club has following categories of Events:
A. Projects undertaken for NGO’s
B. Projects undertaken independently
C. Flagship events
The first part gives the idea of various projects undertaken for NGOs by Rotaract club of Fr. CRCE. Second part of this section shed the light on projects undertaken independently. Further part gives the information about flag ship events of Rotaract club. And lastly use of technology on events and request to sanction actual proposal.
A. Projects undertaken for NGO’s
1. Bigger Than Life (BTL):
Workshops Series for the children to educate and enlighten them about social and environmental issues, Art and Craft workshops to teach them how to reuse materials.
Tree Plantation drive with the children
Collaborate and support the NGO with funds raised out of flagship events such as Mic-Drop, Heart and Sole Run to support the underprivileged and towards women empowerment.
2. Swapnavana Foundation:
Collaborated and supported the NGO to battle the problem of reforestation by raising funds out of our flagship event Heart and Sole Run.
3. TWEET Foundation:
Collaborated and supported the NGO to raise Awareness about the Transgender community by having a Panel discussion with two young trans activists and our peers.
4. Sahodari Foundation:
To raise awareness about how ill treated the Transgender community is, rotaract club of fr.CRCRC took up a social media initiative for people to understand and contribute by helping the foundation.
5. IEC Mumbai:
To eradicate the stigma associated with mental health and conducted a video series having a discussion with professional experts who guided us to know more about mental health and the stigma associated with it.
B. Projects undertaken independently
Beach Cleanup drives:The Clean Up Drive was an initiative taken up by the Rotaract Club of Fr.CRCE so as to promote awareness of the environment. All the garbage collected by the team of around 40 college volunteers was safely deposited and taken care of by the BMC.
Project Paws For A Cause: Paws for a Cause was Rotaract’s Initiative for creating awareness about animal welfare, while also having a chill session- playing and caring of dogs. 3 batches of 10 were made, and the batches were headed by two Club members. Each batch had a session of 1 hour each. The volunteers were given tasks like feeding, bathing, brushing the fur, and walking the dogs. The supervisors at the organisation were giving helpful tips and information about animal care.
Donation drives during times of crisis: The Rotaract Club of Fr. CRCE is a community based organization and works towards developing fellowship and organizing fundraising events for charity. In accordance to this, the club conducted a Donation Drive from 23rd September, 2018 to 29th September, 2018 for the mankind affected by the floods in Kerala.
Donation Week: A week of college students donating something for charity in boxes placed around college.
Collaborate with our Parent Rotary for their projects such blood donation drives etc.
Trek: The footslog i.e. the annual trek is an initiative taken by the Rotaract club of FR.CRCE to build companionship amongst the students of various BE courses. It was a trek amidst nature that the Prabalmachi Fort had to offer. It is a one day trek and the guarantee of their safety is taken by the Rotaract council.
Project Green Hands: It was undertaken by the Rotaract Club of Fr. CRCE and supported by the Rotary Club of Bombay Bandra. This tree plantation drive was conducted at NGO Bigger Than Life.The children of the NGO actively participated in this drive and they were briefed about the importance of tree plantation.
C. Flagship events
MIC DROP: Rotaract Club of Fr. CRCE organizes an event to celebrate Poetry Day in the month of October, known as Mic Drop. It was a blend of comedy, poetry and music. This show brings upcoming poets, comedians, musicians at one platform. With mesmerizing performances of talented artists of various genres, the event is the first of its kind in the college. All the profit generated out of the event was donated to BTL to support the underprivileged children.
HEART AND SOLE RUN: Rotaract club organizes annual charity run known as Heart and Sole Run to create awareness about the development of underprivileged women and children from slum areas of Mumbai. The Heart and Sole run was an initiative taken up by the Rotaract club of Fr.CRCE so as to gather the zealous youth of the city to run for a cause. There are four runs of 15km, 10km, 5km and 1.5 km fun run. Before the run warm up sessions and after the run cool down sessions are conducted by professionals. More than 500 participants from all over Mumbai participate in this run. Mostly online registration is done for this event. Student’s takes different type of permissions required for this run like road transportation, police, best bus department, and college management. The holy hospital gives ambulance and team of assistants to handle emergency. Very minute to major level of planning is required for this event. The charity run covered the routes of Bandstand, Carter Road, Hill Road. The run concluded in our college followed by breakfast and Medal and certificate distribution. The profits generated from the run were donated to the NGOs mentioned above. For this event various technologies are used by this club like
1) Chip timing systems
2) RFID UHF Floor Mat Antenna
3) Speaker and Audio Systems
4) Giant Timing LED screen
5) An Automated System that keeps a track record of the participants
COME TOGETHER: Come Together is the annual Rotaract closing ceremony. It is organised to celebrate Rotaract, and felicitate all the volunteers for their contributions throughout the year, and also to create awareness and uplift the Bigger Than Life NGO. This year, the Club gave away special awards for active participation and notable contributions. Performances during the event included: Band, Beatboxing, and Stand-Up- by the college students, and also a dance by the BTL NGO children. Towards the end of the event, certificates of appreciation were given to the volunteers, calling every individual on stage. The purpose of encouraging participation and taking initiative was achieved by this event. Rotaract Club Bandra officials, very much appreciated the coordination, efforts and hard work of student team to make this event successful.
Outcomes of the Club
- It assists to develop professional and leadership skills by organizing various events and providing service to community. It furnish leadership learning, how to motivate, influence and lead leaders through various events.
- It helps to emphasis respect for the right of others, and promotes ethical standards and the dignity of all useful occupation. Rotaract movement infuses amongst its members the spirit of giving, and ethical behavior, which augurs well generally for the world at large.
- It facilitates to provide opportunities for young people to address the needs and concerns of the community
- It is a learning opportunity and is a continuous training in doing research and assessment of critical community needs, strategizing, developing plans, creating and managing teams and other resources, raising funds, and celebrating achievements. This is a complete education in developing multifarious management skills encompassing management of resources, production, humans, finances, publicity, promotions, and projects;
- Rotaract is an international community with more than thousands of clubs around the world. Rotaract leads young individuals towards various carousels of themselves and the people around them, while diving deeper into ourselves and having a deeper understanding of oneself and others. It develop the the students who can build the nation.
Benefits of the Club to the Institute
- The Rotaract Club of Fr. CRCE has an excellent relation with the institute’s alumni network and often hosts seminars where the alumni are invited to counsel students regarding various problems students are facing. This builds a very strong student-alumni network.
- The club organizes various seminars for higher studies both in India and Abroad and also helps students to get social work certificates for foreign entrance exams which further strengthens the institute’s alumni network after these students pass out.
- The Rotaract Club invites various eminent personalities for sports and cultural events on multiple occasions which gives a boost to the brand name of the college.
- Every Rotaract event is heavily publicised on social media which provides a good media outreach for the institute building an even better reputation by associating with good social work initiatives. But most importantly, the Rotaract Club is always there to help out the students, faculties and administration whenever they need our help and maintain a refreshing & engaging atmosphere in the institute because that is what Rotaract stands for; creating a better environment.
Benefits of the Club to the Society
- The Rotaract Club of Fr. CRCE always believes in giving back to the society and thus is affiliated with various NGOs who are working for the betterment of the society.
- All the members and volunteers of the Rotaract Club support and help out all these NGOs in every possible way. A part of the monetary funds generated by the events organized by the club goes to these NGOs as a small token of support and appreciation from the club.
- The Rotaract Club also organizes several community service events such as beach clean ups, shelter for stray dogs and cats, donation drives, disaster relief funds in the form of food, sanitation and clothing, etc.
- The Rotaract Club also tries to create various awareness programs to influence more and more people to try to create a better society so that we can be proud of the environment we live in.